In a heartbreaking incident, a 16-month-old boy named Michael Alexander Pollock III from Little Rock lost his life to primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare and deadly infection caused by the brain-eating amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri.
Exposure to Deadly Amoeba
The Pulaski County coroner confirmed this tragic death and warned of the severe consequences of exposure to this amoeba.
The Tragic Loss of a Toddler
The Arkansas Department of Health, while not disclosing the individual’s name, issued a statement acknowledging the loss of an Arkansas resident due to the amoeba infection, which is also referred to as Naegleria fowleri.
He Likely Got It From a Splash Pad
According to their news release, it is likely that the individual contracted the infection while playing in a splash pad at the Country Club of Little Rock.
The Toddler Sadly Lost His Life
Coroner Gerone Hobbs sadly reported that young Michael passed away on the evening of September 4th at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.
His Heartbreaking Obituary
His obituary, published in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on September 6th, described Michael as someone who, despite his brief time on Earth, managed to touch the hearts of family, friends, and even strangers with his illuminating smile and playful nature.
They Sent Samples to the CDC
Following this tragic incident, the Health Department promptly sent samples from the pool and splash pad to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for further investigation.
The CDC Confirmed the Startling News
The CDC confirmed the presence of traces of Naegleria fowleri in one of the samples from the splash pad.
However, the agency is still awaiting results from the remaining samples to gain a comprehensive understanding of the situation.
The CDC Says It Rarely Infects Humans
While the CDC emphasizes that Naegleria fowleri is a relatively common amoeba found in warm, low-level freshwater bodies such as rivers, lakes, and streams, it rarely infects humans.
Usually at the Bottom of Warm Water
The amoeba typically resides at the bottom of these water bodies, often in the sediment.
Needs to Be Inhaled
To infect a person, it must be inhaled through the nose and make its way to the brain.
Doesn’t Just Happen From Ingesting
Importantly, individuals cannot become infected by ingesting water contaminated with the amoeba, according to the Health Department.
Has an Alarming Death Rate
Despite its rarity, Naegleria fowleri infections are exceptionally dangerous, with a death rate of 97%, according to the CDC.
The Deadly Potential
This tragic incident tragically highlights the deadly potential of the amoeba, and it serves as a somber reminder that such infections can have devastating consequences.
This Isn’t the First Time
The last known case of a person infected with Naegleria fowleri in Arkansas was in July 2013 when 12-year-old Kali Hardig of Benton contracted the amoeba after visiting Willow Springs Water Park in Little Rock.
She Survived and the Water Park Didn’t
Remarkably, Kali survived, but the water park ceased operations following the incident.
Usually Happens in the Summertime
The CDC says that most cases of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) occur during the summer months, and historically, 11 states, primarily in the South and Southwest, have reported four or more cases of PAM.
This Is the Sixth Case
Arkansas has had six reported cases over the past decades, according to CDC statistics.
The Crippling Symptoms
Symptoms of Naegleria fowleri infection usually begin with a severe headache, fever, and nausea, later progressing to a stiff neck, seizures, and potentially a coma, ultimately resulting in death.
Walmart Employee Terminated After 16 Years As She Exposed Dark Side of Retail Online
Platforms like TikTok have become a popular outlet for users to share behind-the-scenes revelations about various industries, shedding light on their harsh realities. From Domino’s delivery drivers exposing their meager tips to Instacart shoppers calling out fraudulent refund attempts, these revelations can have unintended consequences when higher-ups take notice. Walmart Employee Terminated After 16 Years As She Exposed Dark Side of Retail Online
Die Quickly, Quietly and CHEAPLY: Doctors Expose Dark Truths About Profit-Driven US Healthcare System
A doctor’s video exposing the profit-driven motives of health insurance companies and their alleged disregard for patient well-being goes viral, sparking discussions about the need for healthcare system reform. Die Quickly, Quietly and CHEAPLY: Doctors Expose Dark Truths About Profit-Driven US Healthcare System
Passenger Called Out “Emotional Support Dog” Seated Next to Her Genuine Service Dog on Flight
Remember that time when people were trying to pass off all sorts of creatures as emotional support animals to bring them on airplanes? From peacocks to tortoises, goats to monkeys, and even turkeys, it seemed like anything could be labeled as “emotional support” to justify its presence. Passenger Called Out “Emotional Support Dog” Seated Next to Her Genuine Service Dog on Flighasdt
“It’s Legal Tender!” – Obnoxious Customer Gets EXACTLY What He Demanded From This Cunning Cashier
Confronted by an entitled customer, this quick-thinking cashier makes sure he has a change in attitude. She complies with his requests and without breaking a rule ensures their transaction is anything but convenient. “It’s Legal Tender!” – Obnoxious Customer Gets EXACTLY What He Demanded From This Cunning Cashier
“Not Silenced” – Huge Protests After Judge Orders Newspaper to Destroy Electronic Data Going Against the First Amendment and Freedom of the Press
In a recent decision, a judge has ruled that Kansas authorities must delete all electronic copies of a small newspaper’s files that were made during a police raid on its office and has people questioning the police department’s understanding of the First Amendment. “Not Silenced” – Huge Protests After Judge Orders Newspaper to Destroy Electronic Data Going Against the First Amendment and Freedom of the Press
The post Tragedy Strikes: Toddler’s Fatal Encounter in Splash Pad Reveals Terrifying Brain-Eating Amoeba first appeared on Wealthy Living.
Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock / Dmitry Kalinovsky. The people shown in the images are for illustrative purposes only, not the actual people featured in the story.